Silver - Tanga - D S
The silver Tanga with Coat of arms of Portugal and Tanga Asia (TA) monogram struck in Goa from 1642 - 1647 for circulation in Ceilão also known as De Seylão D S, during the reign of D. João IV (1640-1656).
|Codrington PL 109 ; Gomes J4:11.02 ; KM #10|
Codrington (VIII-21:II,p.100) lists it among silver coins struck in or for Ceylon as the second series of the Malacca type struck in 1642, 1643, comparing with the Tanga Asia with D M (De Malacca). Year 1645 and 1647 are also know for this issue.
In Grogan section on Ceylon the Tanga is illustrated
(1321) of 1642 -- 16 mm ; 2.22 grams.
(1322) of 1643 -- 17/16 mm ; 2.19 grams.
* Ceylon Coins and Currency By H. W. Codrington. Colombo 1924
Chapter VIII Portuguese - Plate xxx. Page xxx
* The Coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories- 1601-1948
C. Scholten, 1953, Amsterdam: Jacques Schulman. page xxx-xxx
* Moedas Portuguesas 1128-1988, by Alberto Gomes. Lisbon 1987
* Collection Henry Thomas Grogan, J. Schulman, Auction 23-02-1914.
* Non-Islamic and Western Colonies since 600 AD by by Michael Mitchiner.
I thank Jan Lingen who kindly sent me the 300 dpi scans of these rare coin from his collection and are displayed at xxx dpi.