Tutenag - Bazaruco - S:LOVRENCO
The Tutenag Meio Bazaruco with Coat of arms of Portugal & S:LOVRENCO around gridiron was cast at Colombo, fort São Lourenço for circulation in Ceilão, during the reign of D. Filippe III (1621-1640).
|Gomes F3:02.01 ONS-NL 152 ; KM Unlisted|
Codrington (VIII-22:f,p.101) gives weight 1.43 grams. and diameter
12 mm for this coin.
The Portuguese fort at Colombo was the Fortress of São Lourenço (Saint Laurence).
* Ceylon Coins and Currency By H. W. Codrington. Colombo 1924
Chapter VIII Portuguese - Plate xxx. Page xxx
* The Coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories- 1601-1948
C. Scholten, 1953, Amsterdam: Jacques Schulman. page xxx-xxx
* Moedas Portuguesas 1128-1988, by Alberto Gomes. Lisbon 1987
* Collection Henry Thomas Grogan, J. Schulman, Auction 23-02-1914.
* Non-Islamic and Western Colonies since 600 AD by by Michael Mitchiner.
I thank Jan Lingen who kindly sent me the 300 dpi scans of these rare coin from his collection and are displayed at xxx dpi.