Copper - Quarter Bazaruco - Cross + Globe
The copper Quarter Bazaruco with a Cross and Globe struck probably in Colombo, fort São Lourenço for circulation in Ceilão, and attributed to the reign of D. João III (1521-1557).
|Codrington Unlisted ; Gomes J3:02.01 ; KM #1|
|Codrington Unlisted ; Gomes J3:02.03 ; KM #1 var|
Gomes gives the weight range of 0.6-0.9 grams for this type.
* Ceylon Coins and Currency By H. W. Codrington. Colombo 1924
Chapter VIII Portuguese - Plate xxx. Page xxx
* The Coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories- 1601-1948
C. Scholten, 1953, Amsterdam: Jacques Schulman. page xxx-xxx
* Moedas Portuguesas 1128-1988, by Alberto Gomes. Lisbon 1987
* Collection Henry Thomas Grogan, J. Schulman, Auction 23-02-1914.
* Non-Islamic and Western Colonies since 600 AD by by Michael Mitchiner.
I thank Jan Lingen who kindly sent me the 300 dpi scans of these rare coin from his collection and are displayed at xxx dpi.