Catalog of coins used in Lanka
The collection is of coins of Lanka and those that were legal tender
and circulated in Lanka. The latter includes
The entries above in Bold are online.
Webpages for the other coins still need to be written.
- Roman "third brass" coins (306-457),
- Chinese copper Cash of Sung dynasty(976-1264),
Ming:Chuang Lieh Ti(1628-1644)
- Ottoman gold Sultani (1520-1594),
- Venician gold Ducats (1523-1797),
- Portuguese colonial era copper Bazaruco (1597-1658),
- Portuguese colonial era silver Tanga (1597-1658),
- Iranian silver Safavid (1629-1694),
- Batavia copper stuiver fractions (1644),
- Dutch VOC counter marked Portuguese Tanga, Safavid and other silver coins.
- Dutch United East India Company VOC copper Duits, and half Duits,
and Ducatoons (1725-1795) and Guilders (1786-1791),
- Netherlands silver Stuivers, Schellings, Guilders,
Rijksdaalder, Daalders, Ducatoons
and gold Ducats (1602-1794),
- Dutch India copper Cash (Pulicat and Negapatnam Mints)
- Indian, Dutch and British era gold Pagodas (1740-1807),
- Indian silver Surat, Sicca, Arcot mint Rupees and fractions
from Bengal, Bombay, Madras presidencies (1795-1835),
- Spanish gold half-escudo (1817)
- Spanish silver 8-Reales and fractions (1759-1820),
- Silver Fractional `Anchor' Spanish Dollar (1822),
- British Sterling silver (1825-1833) and copper (1825-1869),
- Coffee Mill Tokens (1843-1881),
- British East India company copper Anna and fractions (1831-1835),
silver Rupees and fractions (1835-1841),
- British (1852-1920) and Australian (1856-1869) gold Sovereigns,
- British Indian silver Rupees (1862-1916) and fractions (1862-1891).
- Portuguese Indian silver Rupees (1880-1892).
- Year set of Ceylon coins
since change to Decimal in 1870.
- Type set of older Ceylon coins
and those that were legal tender in Ceylon.
Want Lists :
A Short Summary
- Ceylon - Sri Lanka Currency
more recent than 1917
- Ceylon - Sri Lanka coins
more recent than 1870.
- British Colonial Ceylon coins
from 19th century,
including Elephant dumps, Indian Islamic silver,
sterling till 1869, and British India silver to 1891.
- Ceylon Coffee Mill tokens
from mid 19th century.
- Dutch Colonial VOC duits and fractions
from 18th century.
- Dutch Colonial rare copper dumps and silver coins
from 18th century.
- Portuguese Colonial Era rare copper dumps and gold/silver coins
from 16th-17th century.
- Chinese Cash coins
from 11th-13th century Sung dynasty as found in Lanka.
- Medieval Lankan coins
mostly from 10th-15th century
- Roman AE3-4 coppers coins
from 3rd-4th century as found in Lanka.
- Ancient Lankan coins
mostly from 1st-3rd century
Looking for light toned VF/VF+ suitable for scanning for Lanka
I probably can't afford the higher
grades particularly for the
coins which have higher numismatic value, and probably consider VG/F
for these coin.
For coins I need for this collection I am interested in
purchasing at prices about 80% of Krause, typical of prices I have been
buy on ebay, the Internet and at Local coin shows.
or trading equal value using Krause prices,
I have a reasonable collection of extra Ceylon coins both recent (high grade)
and ancient (lower grade).